Baader Universal Filter Changer (UFC): Visual use example
Now that we have covered the main overview of the Baader UFC system in our previous blogs (parts 1-to-5), we thought it would be appropriate to give some examples of how the UFC system can be used. Firstly, this is not meant to be exhaustive as there are many combinations of telescopes and accessories. In this blog, we will consider an example of the UFC being used visually.
One of the simplest ways of using the UFC visually is with 1.25"/2" eyepieces and with a suitable telescope that uses a 1.25"/2" focuser (or 2" focuser with 1.25" adaptor). If we go back to our first blog here, we said that although the UFC system looks complicated, its actually quite simple. At the most basic level, all that is required is a telescope side adaptor, the UFC Base and a camera/eyepiece adaptor. The image below is a simplified diagram showing the UFC system: camera/eyepiece side adaptors on the left; telescope side adaptors on the right, and in the middle is the UFC Base to which the telescope and camera side adaptors are connected. The three main versions of filter slider are also shown below the UFC Base.
So what do we need for the example set up outlined above?
- We need the UFC Base - see here for a full description on this component. This is the main component of the UFC system and it is to which all the UFC adaptors, and the UFC filter slider, attach to.
- If we look at the telescope-side adaptors, on the right side in the image at the top, there is a T-2 telescope side adaptor (#2459130). This is attached to the telescope side of the UFC Base and will allow Baader's Astro T-2 system accessories (see here) to be used (or other T-2 threaded accessories). More information on the telescope-side adaptors can be found here.
Baader T-2 telescope side UFC Adaptor
- By using the T-2 adaptor above, we can use Baader's 1.25" nosepiece with safety groove, from their (very large) Astro T-2 system (#2458105). The nosepiece will now simply screw into the UFC T-2 telescope side adaptor thus allowing the UFC to be inserted into a 1.25" telescope focuser.
Baader's Astro T-2 1.25" nosepiece
- Turing now to the eyepiece (/camera) side of the UFC Base, looking at the exploded diagram of the UFC system at the top, we can use the T-2 male threaded camera/eyepiece adaptor (#2459115; far left). This adaptor attaches to the UFC Base using eight Allen-key hex screws. As with the telescope side, we can now use an appropriate eyepiece holder accessory from Baader's Astro T-2 range. More information on the camera/eyepiece UFC adaptors are here.
- To hold a 1.25" eyepiece, there are a few options from Baader's Astro T-2 system (see here : and which also shows how versatile the T-2 system is):
- #2458120 - 1.25"/T-2 Eyepiece holder (economy model)
- #2458125 - Baader Focusing Eyepiece Holder 1¼" / T-2 (T-2 system part #08A) with three eyepiece clamping screws and fine focus
- #2458100 - Baader ClickLock Eyepiece Clamp 1¼" with built in dioptre-adjustment (T-2 part #08)
We now have all the components for using the UFC with 1.25" eyepieces and a 1.25" focuser. Lets first "lay them all out" all together so we can see how they are all ordered.
Diagram showing layout of the UFC parts (filter slider not shown)
We have left out the filter slider in the image above so we can just see the UFC parts that attach to the telescope. You will need to select a suitable filter slider - see our blog on the filter slider here.
Finally, below you can see an animated GIF that shows the components, with the Filter Slider, being assembled from the parts above to produce the final 1.25" UFC adaptor.