Starizona Hyperstar for Celestron 14" SCT/Edge HD Telescopes
- For use with Celestron 14" SCT and Edge HD Telescopes
- Wide-field of view imaging
- Short exposure times
- Easy no-tool installation
Starizona's HyperStar optical system is based on Celestron's innovative Fastar feature which allows the secondary mirror to be removed from Celestron's Schmidt-Cassegrain or Edge HD telescopes. The HyperStar lens assembly is fitted in place of the secondary mirror, and a CCD camera can then be mounted at the front of the telescope for a wider field of view and faster imaging.
The HyperStar C14 lens converts a standard Celestron 14" SCT or Edge HD telescope from an f/10 focal ratio system to f/1.9, making the system 25 times faster! The HyperStar lens shortens the focal length of the telescope, giving a much wider field of view, and giving a greater tolerance of tracking errors. Deep-sky images can potentially be imaged without guiding and if your Celestron telescope is mounted on an alt-az mount, an equatorial wedge is not necessarily needed. The optical performance of the Hyperstar is excellent, with coma-free, flat field views of almost 2.5 degrees wide.
The HyperStar C14 is compatible with a variety of cameras, including both CCDs and Canon/Nikon/Sony DSLRs. Like the other 8" and larger HyperStar models, the HyperStar C14 covers up to a 27mm (APS-size) sensor. Different cameras require different adapters in order to preserve the required critical back-focus distance of the HyperStar lens from the imaging sensor. One adaptor is included with the HyperStar lens. Please specify the camera being used when ordering.
Switching from the HyperStar to the telescope's normal f/10 optical configuration, and vice versa, is simple and fast. The swapping takes only a minute or two, is a no-tool operation, and as the telescope's secondary mirror is indexed, no re-collimation is necessary. A holder is included for safe storage of the secondary mirror while imaging.
- Celestron has shipped some non-Edge HD telescope models with the Edge HD rear cell. Because this cell moves the primary mirror forward, the Edge HD version of the HyperStar lens is required. If unsure which model to order, please give us a call.
- This model includes the required adapter ring to fit the HyperStar lens to the Edge HD model telescope. An additional adaptor would be required to adapt this lens to an older (non-HD) telescope.
Please see the video below for a nighttime demonstration of the use of the Hyperstar.
- Focal Ratio: f/1.9
- Focal Length: 684mm
- Maximum Usable Sensor Size: 27mm Diagonal (APS Format)
- DSLR Compatible
- Field of View (with 27mm sensor): 2.4 degrees
- Camera Adapter Threaded for 2" (48mm) Filters
- Backfocus (from mounting thread to focal plane): 67.4mm (2.65")
- Length (without camera adapter): 5.1" (C14 SCT) / 5.6" (C14 Edge HD)
- Diameter: 4.9"
- Weight: 3.1 lbs