Celestron StarSense Explorer LT 70AZ Smartphone App-Enabled Refractor Telescope
- Unleash the power of your smartphone to take you on a guided tour of the night sky with no telescope experience required.
- Patent-pending StarSense sky recognition technology uses your smartphone to analyse star patterns overhead and calculate its position in real time.
- StarSense Explorer app automatically generates a list of objects currently visible. View planets, brighter nebulae and galaxies, star clusters, and double stars from the city. Or take your telescope to darker skies to view faint, deep sky objects.
- 70mm refractor with fully coated glass optics for bright, sharp views.
- Manual alt-azimuth mount with smooth, dual-axis slow-motion controls makes it easy to follow the on-screen arrows to your desired target. When the bulls-eye turns green, it’s ready to view in the telescope’s eyepiece.
Celestron are innovators and they have reinvented the manual telescope with their new StarSense Explorer range — the first telescope that uses your smartphone to analyse the night sky and calculate its position in real time. StarSense Explorer is ideal for beginners thanks to the app’s user-friendly interface and detailed tutorials. It’s like having your own personal tour guide of the night sky.
Dock, Launch, Explore: Leave complicated star charts, imprecise planetarium apps, and powered computerised mounts behind. With StarSense Explorer, locating objects has never been easier, faster, or more accurate. Within minutes of setting up the telescope, you’ll be navigating the sky with confidence. Simply place your phone in the unique StarSense dock and launch the StarSense Explorer app. After aligning your phone to the telescope’s optics (a quick, 2-minute procedure), StarSense Explorer generates a list of celestial objects currently visible. Make your selection and arrows appear onscreen, guiding you as you to move the telescope. When the object is ready to view, the bullseye turns green.
Smartphone Compatibility: StarSense Explorer works with most modern smartphones, including iPhone 6 and up and most devices running Android 7.1.2 or later manufactured since 2016. For a complete compatibility list, see the smartphone compatibility tab.
Patent-Pending StarSense Sky Recognition Technology: StarSense Explorer uses patent-pending technology and your smartphone to determine exactly where the telescope is pointed in the night sky. A Lost in Space Algorithm (LISA), like the ones satellites use in orbit to correctly reorient themselves, helps the app match star patterns it detects overhead to its internal database.
While other astronomy apps may claim that they can help you find objects, they rely exclusively on the phone’s gyros and accelerometers, which aren’t as accurate as LISA technology. No other app can accurately tell you when your target is visible in the eyepiece.
Sturdy Altazimuth Mount: StarSense Explorer LT’s simple altazimuth mount makes it easy to move the telescope to find your target. A slow-motion altitude adjustment knob helps you fine tune the telescope’s pointing position and follow targets as they appear to drift across the night sky. It’s all anchored by an adjustable, full-height tripod.
Dazzling Views with High Quality Optics: You can expect sharp, bright views through this 70mm refractor. Fully coated glass optics provide increased light transmission, enhancing details in celestial objects. The telescope also includes a 90-degree erect image diagonal, so you can use it during the day to view birds, wildlife, landscapes, and more.
Perfect for the City or Dark Sky Sites: Even if you live in a light polluted city location, StarSense Explorer is advanced enough to be able to pick out Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, the Orion Nebula, double stars, and a few more of the most famous celestial objects.
However if you can take the telescope to an even slightly darker location, more objects will become visible. The entire telescope kit weighs just 7.4 pounds, so it’s perfectly portable and easy to bring on your next camping trip or to a remote observing site.
Everything You Need to Observe Immediately: When you unbox your new StarSense Explorer LT, you’ll find all of the following:
- 70mm refractor optical tube
- StarSense dock for your smartphone
- Low powered (25mm) and high powered (10mm) eyepiece
- 2x Barlow lens to double the power of each eyepiece
- 90-degree erect image diagonal
- StarPointer red dot finderscope, perfect for using the telescope during the day or without the StarSense Explorer app
- Alt-azimuth mount with slow motion control rod
- Full-height tripod with an accessory tray to keep you organised
Minimum smartphone requirements:
- Android 7.1.2 and higher
- Manufactured 2016 and later
- iPhone 6 and newer
For a full list of tested smartphone devices please see here.
|Optical Tube Info:|
|Focal Length||700mm (27.56")|
|Magnification of Eyepiece 1||28x|
|Magnification of Eyepiece 2||70x|
|Barlow Lens||2x (1.25”)|
|Finderscope||StarPointer red dot finder|
|Star Diagonal||Erect image 90° (1.25")|
|Highest Useful Magnification||165x|
|Lowest Useful Magnification||10x|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude||11.7|
|Resolution (Rayleigh)||1.99 arc seconds|
|Resolution (Dawes)||1.66 arc seconds|
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye)||100x|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area|
|Optical Coatings||Fully coated glass optics|
|Optical Tube Length||812.8mm (32”)|
|Optical Tube Diameter||76mm (2.99")|
|Optical Tube Weight||3.6 lbs (1.63 kg)|
|Mount Type||Manual Alt-Azimuth|
|Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod)||Aluminium, 1320.8mm (52”) max height|
|Tripod leg diameter||31.75mm (1.25”) steel|
|Tripod Weight||3.8 lbs (1.72 kg)|
|GPS||Uses phone's GPS|
|Dovetail Compatibility||CG-5 Dovetail bar|
|Power Requirements||None (Recommend PowerTank Glow to keep phone charged while using app)|
|Alignment Procedures||Use StarSense Explorer app|
|Software||StarSense Explorer app | SkyPortal app | Celestron Starry Night Basic Edition Software|
|Total Kit Weight||7.4 lbs (3.35 kg)|
|Included Items||Telescope tube | Mount/tripod (pre-assembled) | 25mm & 10mm eyepieces | Erect image diagonal | 2x Barlow lens | StarPointer finderscope | Accessory tray | StarSense Explorer phone dock|