Baader Morpheus 76° Eyepiece Set (Complete)
- Complete 4.5mm-17.5mm Morpheus® set includes the Hyperion® / Morpheus® eyepiece case (#2454601) as well as the Baader Utility Bag for small accessories (#2954201)
- Eyepieces with 76° undistorted flat, full field, sharpness
- On-axis sharpness and contrast rivals best, ever released planetary eyepieces
- Long 20mm of eye relief provides spacewalk feeling
- Small 55mm outer diameter ideal for binoviewing
- Hard aluminium alloy with industrial quality UV-stabilised anodising surrounds a set of 8 lenses with one ED- and two Lanthanum elements
- Dual 2" and 1¼" nosepiece integrated into one eyepiece
- M43 photo/video-thread makes Morpheus eyepieces make superb imaging projection eyepieces
Baader Morpheus® eyepieces provide a sharp image right to the edge of the (true) 76° field of view. The brightness and richness of contrast offers a new dimension in eyepiece design. These eight-lens eyepieces with Phantom Coating® Group excel at planetary observation as well as deep-sky objects - especially when serving as photographic projection eyepieces due to their flat field design.
All Morpheus® wide-field eyepieces form the perfect complement to low magnification eyepieces. Even at highest magnification, each Morpheus® eyepiece provides a larger field of view than what is claimed for by many eyepieces with over 80° of apparent field of view! The absence of distortion in the eyepiece enables you to see the full field at once and to easily find the best viewing position, while enjoying a spacewalk feeling unmatched by others. You will see deep sky objects wonderfully embedded into their stellar surroundings. In addition, the large, sharp field of view gives you much more viewing time on non-motorised (e.g. Dobsonian) telescopes without touching the telescope and without changing the eyepiece. All Morpheus® eyepieces feature both 1.25" and 2" nosepieces with Safety-Kerfs cut into the barrel.
Due to their shape, design and low weight, the Morpheus® eyepieces are the best eyepieces to use in a binoviewer. No other eyepiece series has been designed consistently for this use, while offering the same (true) field angle, minimised vignetting and providing a 55mm outer housing diameter throughout, to allow binoviewing even for children with just 55mm interpupillary distance. The slim outer body has been made as small as possible, without any metal added simply for look or feel. The "eye-lens-group" is sized so very large, to make the viewing behaviour totally stress-less. Even at too large a viewing distance the object remains visible - a feature very appreciated by public observatories with lots of untrained visitors. You will not find an eyepiece that gives a better "space-float effect". Especially when using both eyes, the edge of the field of view virtually disappears, creating that famous spacewalk-feeling - like "floating in space".
Just like the modular Hyperion® series, the Morpheus® range is also especially suitable for photography, with distortion being lower than in the Hyperion® eyepieces, despite the larger field of view.
- Full Field Sharpness: The sharp, flat 76° field is unsurpassed by any other modern wide field eyepiece. On-axis sharpness and contrast rivals the Zeiss Abbe II eyepieces, while delivering nearly equivalent performance over the full field. Stars remain diamond pinpoints as you move away from centre, and the field remains flat and in focus, even in short focus telescopes.
- Long Eye Relief: Morpheus® pushes the envelope of comfortable wide field viewing further than ever before, delivering close to 20mm of eye relief along with best-in-class optical performance. Eyeglass wearers can comfortably take in the full field, and users of Binoviewers will find that Morpheus® are the ultimate eyepieces for viewing with two eyes.
- Low Distortion: Highly sophisticated optical design delivers exceedingly low distortion (angular magnification distortion). Planets and Lunar features retain their shapes as they transit the field and the true field sizes match the theoretical value. Many companies exaggerate at this point and deliberately use off axis distortion magnification as a means to advertise blown "apparent" field sizes . You will be able to compare this given field size of 76° and find it to be the true value, calculated from the apparent field size and focal length.
- Immersive Views: What we found is that the subjective ‘spacewalk’ feeling is not just a function of field of view. Interestingly, some wide-field eyepieces with fields of 82° failed to deliver the same viewing experience as others with similar or smaller fields. We found two additional primary factors played into the equation – Eye Relief (and the related large eye lens size) and Ease of Viewing (a combination of long eye relief and control of pupil aberrations). We also found that fields much below 74 degrees tended to have a reduced effect. So, with this information in hand, we set out to design the Morpheus® series with a field of view of 76° that met all of the other optical parameters necessary to deliver a truly "immersive" viewing experience where the eyepiece essentially disappears.
- Phantom Coating® Group: The Phantom Group Multi-coatings have been further optimised for use in the Morpheus® and index-matched to each of the different glasses.
- Optimised Internal Baffling: As with all Baader Planetarium eyepieces, the internal mechanics have been fully ray-traced and baffled to eliminate the effects of stray-light and reflections.
- Optimised for Binoviewing: Minimised body size giving maximum nose clearance for binoviewing.
- Weight reduction: Every effort has been made to eliminate unnecessary weight - especially in view of effective binoviewing. The weight of all Morpheus® eyepieces essentially are the lenses inside plus the best protection and water resistance we can supply.
- Foldable Eyecups: These eyeguards have been developed to provide the optimal comfort and eye spacing for most users and eye glass wearers.
- Safety Features: The 1¼" and 2" Barrels incorporate Slip-Protect Safety-Kerfs to give additional grip and security. Wide waffle-patterned rubber grip ring gives an extra measure of handling security.
- Luminescent Labelling: The labelling glows in a soft green, if the eyepiece has been in the light for some time, or if it has been illuminated directly with a flashlight allowing you to recognise the eyepiece focal length.
- Photo-Video Adaptation: Each Morpheus includes a hidden M43 photo-video eye lens thread that permits use of our extensive range of Hyperion Digital T-Rings for direct-thread attachment of an imaging device.
- Hyperion/Morpheus #2454601 eyepiece case: for up to eight eyepieces.
- Baader Utility Bag: for small accessories (#2954201)
- Metal / Rubber eyecup: The folding rubber eyecup now comes with an integral M43 threaded metal ring (this accounts for the complete line of Morpheus-eyepieces). The threaded attachment enables the eyecup to stay soft and compliant, while keeping the eyecup securely attached to the eyepiece while folding it up or down.
- Winged Eyecup: Soft and compliant rubber-eyecap with foldable side shield. Provides the ultimate comfort and exclusion of stray light necessary for binoviewing with eyeglasses
- M43/M43 extension: all Morpheus eyepieces now include the M43 extension #2954250. It is used for optimising the position of the eyecup in setting the personal viewing position as well as for adapting a camera with M43-thread (e.g. Sony / Panasonic). In addition this extension serves also as clamping surface for smartphone holders
- Eyepiece-Holster: Not enough space at the telescope? The pouch does not only protect the eyepiece – you can even use it as a belt pouch or attach it to your tripod.
- Focal-Length Indicator-Clips: Stainless steel clips can be attached e.g. to the eyepiece holster and one or more of the little indicator fingers is bent upward - according to the focal length used. In this way the user experiences a tactile ("braille"-equivalent) sensation, being able to identify each eyepiece without looking and without using a flashlight
- 10-page manual: a manual with many application examples and a list of optional accessories is included
|SKU (#)||2954217 - 2954204|
|WEIGHT (KG)||0.415 - 0.370|
|FOCAL LENGTH||4,5 mm | 6,5 mm | 9 mm | 12,5 mm | 14 mm | 17,5 mm|
|APPARENT FIELD OF VIEW||76°|
|EYE RELIEF (MM)||23 mm to 17.5mm|
|AR-COATING||Phantom Coating® Group|
|SPECIAL FEATURES||Photo-luminescent engraving: lets you find the correct eyepiece at all times|
|BARREL SIZE (IN)||1¼", 2"|
|OPTICAL DESIGN||Wide Angle|
|SPECIALITY||Eyepiece projection: classical|
|FIELD STOP DIAMETER||23.55mm - 6.1mm|
|NUMBER OF LENS ELEMENTS||8|
|NUMBER OF GROUPS||5|
|BACKFOCUS GAIN W. 2“ BARREL (MM)||21 mm|
|SLIP PROTECT SAFETY||Safety Kerfs|
|LENGTH OF 1¼" BARREL (MM)||24 mm|
|LENGTH OF 2" BARREL (MM)||21 mm|
|OUTER DIAMETER||55 mm|
|OUTER CONNECTION (EYEPIECE/-CAMERA-SIDED)||Thread, M43|
|INNER CONNECTION (LENS SIDED)||Thread, M28,5|
|OUTER CONNECTION (LENS SIDED)||Barrel, 1¼", 2" (50,8mm)|
|THREADED FOR FILTERS||Yes|
|DUSTCAPS||1¼" dustcap (31,8mm), 2" dustcap (45mm), 2" dustcap (46.5mm - fits over eyecup)|
|EYECUPS||rubber/metal, folding eyecup with M43 thread, winged eyecup (M43)|
|INCLUDED ACCESSORIES||Cordura eyepiece holster for fast access, Focallength Indicator-Clip, M43/M43 extension, Baader Utility Bag #2954201|