Starizona Hyperstar for Celestron 9.25" SCT/Edge HD Telescopes
- For use with Celestron 9.25" SCT and Edge HD Telescopes
- Wide-field of view imaging
- Short exposure times
- Easy no-tool installation
Starizona's HyperStar optical system is based on Celestron's innovative Fastar feature which allows the secondary mirror to be removed from Celestron's Schmidt-Cassegrain or Edge HD telescopes. The HyperStar lens assembly is fitted in place of the secondary mirror, and a CCD camera can then be mounted at the front of the telescope for a wider field of view and faster imaging.
The HyperStar C9.25 lens converts a standard Celestron 9.25" SCT or Edge HD telescope from an f/10 focal ratio system to f/2.3, making the system 18 times faster and means 18-times shorter exposures! The HyperStar lens shortens the focal length of the telescope, giving a much wider field of view, and giving a greater tolerance of tracking errors. Deep-sky images can potentially be imaged without guiding and if your Celestron telescope is mounted on an alt-az mount, an equatorial wedge is not necessarily needed. The optical performance of the Hyperstar is excellent, with coma-free, flat field views of almost 3 degrees wide.
The HyperStar C9.25 is compatible with a variety of cameras, including both CCDs and DSLRs. Like the other 8" and larger HyperStar models, the HyperStar C9.25 covers up to a 27mm (APS-size) sensor. Different cameras require different adapters in order to preserve the required critical back-focus distance of the HyperStar lens from the imaging sensor. One adaptor is included with the HyperStar lens. Please specify the camera being used when ordering.
Switching from the HyperStar to the telescope's normal f/10 optical configuration, and vice versa, is simple and fast. The swapping takes only a minute or two, is a no-tool operation, and as the telescope's secondary mirror is indexed, no recollimation is necessary. A holder is included for safe storage of the secondary mirror while imaging.
- Only new, factory-equipped Fastar-compatible 9.25" SCT telescopes have a removable secondary mirror assembly, allowing the use of the HyperStar C9.25 lens. Older 9.25" SCTs are NOT compatible, nor can they be converted.
- The 9.25" SCT uses a slightly different optical configuration, in order to produce a flatter field of view and have a smaller central obstruction. This means it uses a slower primary mirror (f/2.3 versus the f/2 mirror in other SCTs). This means the HyperStar has to be slightly slower to retain its excellent optical performance. The difference between f/2.3 and f/2 is negligible.
Please see the video below for a nighttime demonstration of the use of the Hyperstar.
- Focal Ratio: f/2.3
- Focal Length: 540mm
- Maximum Usable Sensor Size: 27mm Diagonal (APS Format)
- Field of View (with 27mm sensor): 2.8 degrees
- DSLR Compatible
- Camera Adapter Threaded for 2" (48mm) Filters
- Backfocus (from mounting thread to focal plane): 59.7mm (2.35")
- Length (without camera adapter): 4.2"
- Diameter: 4.1"
- Weight: 1.8 lbs.
- HyperStar C9.25 HD Fork-Mounted OTA Instructions
- HyperStar C9.25 HD German EQ-Mounted OTA Instructions